Mike talked to the son of one of the original station owners and he told us that WSTP stood for: ” Salisbury Times and Post”! The “W” was and still is mandated by the FCC for stations east of the Mississippi.
During the 1930′s The Salisbury Post published two editions every day. Of course one was called The Salisbury Post, as known today. The other paper was later in the day and it was called the “Salisbury Times”.
Finally the mystery is solved. We knew the Hurley family had ownership in both the radio station and the newspaper, but we just couldn’t make the connection.
WSTP The Salisbury Times and Post.