Rain moved into our southern counties early Thursday evening and slowly spread from there.
It remained cold Thursday, with afternoon temperatures only rebounding to the low to mid 40s.
While our southern counties just saw a cold rain, northern areas, particularly north of Interstate 40, are seeing a wintry mix of sleet, snow and freezing rain as temperatures drop overnight, Meteorologist Ashley Batey said.
A Winter Weather Advisory is in effect for that area through Noon Friday.
A Winter Storm Warning is in effect for Rowan, Iredell, Alexander, Catawba, Burke, Watauga and Caldwell Counties until noon.
A Flood Warning is in effect for Mecklenburg and Cabarrus counties until 11:30 a.m. More than 1.5 inches of rain had fallen overnight in the region.
The NC Department of Transportation has closed several roads in Cabarrus Co. due to high flood waters.
• Hopewell Church Road between Kiser Road and Garmon Mill Road in Midland;
• Lake Lynn Road at Twinfield Drive in Concord;
• Bowman Barrier Road between Long Run Farm Road and Eastover Road in Mount Pleasant;
• Pharr Mill Road between Rocky River Road and Sequoia Hills Road in Harrisburg;
• Hahn Scott Road at Lambert Road in Mount Pleasant;
• Pinebluff Road at Bluffton Drive in Midland.
The storm will slowly pull out of the region Friday, and so lingering rain and clouds will keep temperatures in the upper 30s to about 40, way below normal for the second day in a row.
Clearing should begin late in the afternoon.
Beyond, the weekend looks wonderful with sunshine returning and highs surging into the mid and upper 60s and near 70 degree temperatures are likely early next week.
Copyright 2014 WBTV. All rights reserved.