SALISBURY – WBTV is hoping to hear today from the North Carolina Department of Transportation on the case involving the Samuel C. Hart American Legion Post on Highway 29.
On Tuesday WBTV broke the story that the state was planning to evict the post from the property so that it could be claimed for a bridge as part of a road and rail project.
Members of the post were aware of that and even said they understand that the state had the right to use eminent domain to claim the property, but members are upset with the price offered for the property, and with the time line that would require them to be out by May 8.
They were also upset that the DOT isn’t returning their calls or emails. A phone number printed on the bottom of an official DOT document goes to a phone line that is disconnected.
The post is hoping to purchase the Kiwanis Camp property on Bringle Ferry Road, but that camp was vandalized twice in the last week causing damage of more than $75,000.
On Tuesday morning WBTV contacted the DOT. A spokesperson took the information and promised to return the call. That spokesperson also said that extensions are sometimes granted on evictions depending on the circumstances. Late Tuesday afternoon a different DOT representative did call WBTV, but said that they were still working to get information on the case and would call back on Wednesday.
In addition, WBTV contacted NC Representative Carl Ford about the situation. Ford also said that he was looking into it and would have more information on Wednesday. In an email post on the WBTV web page, Ford commented that this project was part of the high speed rail project approved under the administration of Governor Perdue.