Boston Marathon bombing suspect in custody after massive manhunt

WATERTOWN, MA (RNN) – Amid cheers and applause, law enforcement officials took the second Boston Marathon bombing suspect into custody Friday night. The first suspect died in a gunfight in the wee hours Friday.

Police gather surround a home in Watertown, MA where the suspect was hiding in the backyard. (Source: CNN)


“We’re exhausted, but we have a victory here tonight,” said Col. Timothy Alben, superintendent of the Massachusetts State Police, at a news conference after a massive mobilization of law enforcement and a daylong manhunt.

Residents streamed into the street in celebration, chanting, “Let’s go Boston!” and “U.S.A!” after an emotional five-day search for two brothers, Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, 19, and Tamerlan  Tsarnaev, 26, who allegedly placed bombs at the finish line of the Boston Marathon.

“We’ve closed an important chapter in this tragedy,” President Barack Obama said in an address to the nation.

Obama urged Americans to allow the judicial system to work, and emphasized that what makes this country and the city of Boston great is the willingness to welcome people from around the world.

The president praised the work by law enforcement, and expressed gratitude to the people of Boston who helped in the search for the two brothers.

The search ended at a home in Watertown, MA, after a Dave Henneberry called 911 when he saw a trail of blood leading to a boat on a trailer in the backyard of a his home.

This boat is where police believe the second suspect is hiding. (Source: Google)

“He walked outside and saw blood on the boat. … He lifted the tarp and saw a man covered with blood,” Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis said. “We set up a perimeter around the boat … we exchanged gunfire with the suspect inside the boat.”

Davis said the suspect’s wounds were probably from the police pursuit and gunfight the night before when the brothers exchanged gunfire and threw bombs at police. Tamerlan Tsarnaev was fatally wounded in that exchange.

No explosives were found at the scene of the arrest. Police used a robot to remove the tarp from the boat.

Gov. Deval Patrick thanked the public for helping the investigation, especially in submitting photos and videos of the scene of the Monday bombing near the finish line that claimed three lives and injured more than 170 people